Wednesday, March 26, 2008

the little boy and the old man


Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that, too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.

-- Shel Silverstein

9 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

That brought tears to my eyes.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

i love that. it is sadly very true and what a poignant way to remind us. thanks for that alex

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

~sniffling~ That really is very poignant, and sadly, all too true for too many of our elderly citizens.
A reminder too, that some day - if we're lucky, we'll be the old men and women (sooner for some of us than others :) - hope all the younger people will be Shel Silverstein fans and rememer this one...

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger meghan said...

this is one of my favorites ever. Shel Silverstein was a genius - genius genius!!! I have three of his poetry books on my shelf at home and I dive in every time I am there.

How are YOU??!??!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Amber said...

You are killing me, here. Jeez.

:)

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger blessedmatch said...

Awesome poem, but not my favorite by Shel Silverstein.

For Sale

One sister for sale!
One sister for sale!
One crying and spying young sister for sale!
I'm really not kidding,
So who'll start the bidding?
Do I hear a dollar?
A nickel?
A penny?
Oh, isn't there, isn't there, isn't there any
One kid who will buy this old sister for sale,
This crying and spying young sister for sale?

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brought me to tears.

Beautiful photo! Can you tell me from which Shel book this quote was taken from? Thanks for sharing.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous yemek tarifleri resimli said...

kayıp izle izmir çetesi dizisi canan izle sürgün izle canan dizisi izmir çetesi izle bordo bereli izle derin sular dizisi derin sular izle sırat izle ezel final izle cennetin sırları izle yolun başı izle sırat dizisi film izle kaç para dizi izle

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Mariam said...

This is such an endearing reminder that we are all human and share common experiences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home