Friday, February 09, 2007


"As a child, I knew I had one great possession: my body. It was little and quick. I lived within it...I'd wake up in the morning, excited, ready to go out and look at the world. Breakfast would only slow me down. I wanted to leap into the empty lots outside our windows just as soon as I could and see what had happened overnight. As an adult, I met people who talked passionately about their new Rolls Royce. But that isn't a real posession. All we actually have is our body and its muscles that allow us to be under our own power, to glide in the water, to roll down a hill, and jump into someone's arms."

-Allegra Kent

10 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger Kim G. said...

Alexandra - I was downtown having coffee on NW 23rd and was kicking myself that I've never gotten your email. It would be great to get together again some time and talk books, writing and Weight Watchers! If you'd like, send me an email (kim a greenwood at comcastdotnet) no spaces of course.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

I know that feeling, I have it every Tuesday, Thursday and weekend morning when I know I don“t have to work and the day is mine to do as please!

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Waspgoddess said...

Aaahhh... beautiful. Sometimes when I'm feeling too lazy to go for a walk, or too lazy to cook a wholesome meal, or too lazy to do a little yoga or pilates, I try to remind myself that this is my body, the only one I have, and to treat it with respect and dignity.

And it usually works, it makes me feel good: it makes my body leap with joy and my mind sing.

Ps. I saw that you like train journeys, Tales of Moominvalley and silliness -- it's so nice to find a kindred spirit :)

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Yes! And I love how you've combined this with a picture of dancing. If the one great gift I have is my body, you can be sure what I'm going to do with it is dance!

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Tinker said...

Thanks for the reminder - I need to take my body out for a walk - well, not right this minute, because it's the middle of the night - but tomorrow. Maybe we'll go dancing later, too. ;)

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Amber said...

Oh, very true. That old saying about our health being everything is just true. I wish I always remembered to take care of my body!(now pardon me while I go get another Starburst.)

:)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger belle said...

ah, allegra kent...a beautiful writer as well as (former) ballerina. such a great excerpt to post!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger letitia said...

i'm lurking a bit on your 'other' blog today! i'd love it if you'd post this quote on our 12-week challenge blog -- it's really inspiring and perfect for where we are and where we're headed...

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous fragman said...

thank you

 
At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Tabitha L said...

This was a lovely blogg post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home